Jasper County's first courthouse was a one-story building on the north side of the square in Carthage built by Levi H. Jenkins in 1842. The second courthouse was completed July 10, 1854, was used as a hospital during the Civil War, and was destroyed by fire in October 1863. The cornerstone for the current courthouse was laid Aug. 21, 1894. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the courthouse is built of locally quarried limestone and marble. It is the second most photographed man made site in the state. The square is lined by monuments commemorating historic moments in the city's history.
302 S Main St,
Carthage, MO 64836