Eastern Start and End of Route 66
|Built in||1926, 1933 (1955)|
|Visitors welcome||Public street|
The start of Route 66 has moved a few times.
- Originally, in 1926, Route 66 began on Jackson Blvd. at Michigan Ave.
- In 1933, the start (and end) was moved east onto the reclaimed land for the world fair to Jackson and Lake Shore Drive.
- In 1955, Jackson Blvd became one way west of Michigan Ave. and Adams St. became the westbound US-66. However the start of US-66 remained on Jackson at Lake Shore Drive.
So, even while currently Adams Street at Michigan Avenue is marked as the starting point, Route 66 never departed from there.
The ending point is easier:
- Prior to 1933 it was at the intersection of Jackson Blvd and Michigan Ave. (which is marked as the terminus).
- Post 1933 at Jackson Blvd. and Lake Shore Drive.
Jim Ross & Jerry McClanahan
National Historic Route 66 Federation
John Steinbeck, Robert DeMott