Baxter Springs Inn and General Store
The Inn and General Store was built in 1949 by John Baxter.
Located on 6th St., just off of Military Ave.
The text on the sign reads:
In the spring of 1849, John Baxter, his wife and 8
children moved to this site and built an inn and
general store and offered food and lodging to
travelers who passed along the military road. Baxter
was a colorful chracter -- A speculator, business man,
and "gun toting preacher".
A tragedy ended the life of this first citizen when
he was killed in a shootout over a land dispute.
Baxter Springs, incorporated in 1868, had been named
for its first setler and the springs that flowed
near his home."
Richard Paul Evans
Jim Hinckley, Kerrick James
Michelle Newton Hansford, Michele Newton Hansford